Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Backpocket Wisdom: Happy Grilled Cheese Month!



Yep- that's right! According to ilovecheese.com (where you can get your Cheese Profile!) April is "Grilled Cheese Month, "which I thought was awesome in terms of totally impressing your little ones at lunchtime! Now, I went to school in Wisconsin, home of Mars' Cheese Castle, and so I take cheese pretty seriously, and since the GC is a kids' favorite, I thought it would be fun to chat up our staff about this melted delicacy, although, past Lisa (who was a Cheesehead !) I wasn't sure if everybody else was jazzed about the GC but now I know that our staff is in full support, and also shared some commonalities regarding whose is The Best, GC toppings, and also types of pans and GC secrets!
Our neighborhood kid-friendly spot, Silver Cloud, was voted, as Linday put it "Best Grilled Cheese Ever" and when asked to be more specific, Lisa noted that the "multiple cheeses, super buttery thick bread and tomato soup side are key!" In terms of toppings, everything from bacon, ham, avocado and tomato were listed, although Anna said, "I refuse to eat a grilled cheese without stuff," so she must load those GC's up with the veggies! (She told me her fave was the Chipotle GC at Kerbey Lane Cafe in Austin, which I must try because their website is totally cute, Austin' s cool and much warmer than here!).
"Secrets" abounded, as it seems that home cooked grilled cheese involve "secret" garlic salt, "secret" crusty bread, and, surprising to me, "George Foreman grills! (gonna have to try that!)" It seems like a grilled cheese tour might be in order, but I'm afraid if I watch them prep I'll be "shhh'd" or blindfolded or something. Now, the overall winner was "straight up" as Katy calls it, and we'll go with Marlo's traditional, don't-muck-it-up recipe of "lots of butter, American Cheese, and a regular pan." I'd like to say that that's how they are made in my house, by my guy who I think makes the best GC ever. The cheese is evenly melted, the bread is nice and toasty... and I didn't have to cook! Let me in on your Grilled Cheese "Secret" in our Comments section!

View our Kids Cooking Stuff!

Photo Courtesy of
laughingsquid.com

----posted by Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to share with the group? Comment here, just please be respectful of others, polite and nice (as we try to be) to set an example for the cool, crazy kids!